Study in Sweden student visa application process and checklist
Depending on your nationality, different visa regulations might apply. European Union/European Economic Area/Nordic students do not require a residence permit. If you’re from outside the EU, you’ll receive a ‘student residence permit’. You get it for a year at a time, depending on the length of the programme that you’re in. You would also have to prove that you have the funds to support your student life.
The good news is that after graduation, you can apply for a 6-month extension. That will give you some time to find a job and build a career after having a great student life in the country.
Application of Visa
Students who are citizens of an EU/EEA/Nordic country or Switzerland do not have to pay application or tuition fees. All other international students have to pay tuition fees, as well as an online application fee of SEK 900 (84 EUR).
Tuition fees vary, depending on the subject and level of the programme. Bachelor’s programmes tend to cost less than a master’s programmes. The average fee for a master’s programme is 12,000 EUR per year.
Eligibility Criteria for Students requiring a Residence Permit in Sweden
Students who are citizens of an EU/EEA/Nordic country do not need a residence permit or visa to study Sweden. When staying for more than 12 months, you will need to get registered by the Swedish Tax Agency to be included in the Swedish Population Register.
Citizens of most other countries (non-EU/EEA/Nordic) who are staying for less than 3 months will need a visa to enter Sweden. When staying longer than 3 months, a residence permit is required before coming to Sweden.
To be eligible for Residence Permit in Sweden to pursue an educational course you require the following things:
- Admitted to a full-time accredited university for studies in Sweden
- Paid the first instalment of the tuition fees for your course of study
- Have valid supporting documentation to support your residence permit application
- Have a valid passport with a validity of minimum six months
- Possess a letter of admission from the university that has offered you admission in its course of study
- Provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during the course of your study in Sweden
- In case you are to stay in Sweden for a period of less than one year, you must have comprehensive health insurance and will need to provide its proof
- You must fully intend to leave Sweden at the end of your course of study
General required documents for a Sweden Visa Application:
- Download the Sweden Visa Application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Sweden Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Proof of enrollment
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Sweden. A foreigner who seeks to enter the territory of Sweden must be able to attest possessing 450 SEK or 48.26€/day of stay in Sweden, at the moment applying for a Swedish Visa to the Swedish Embassy or Consulate.