How to fund your studies in the UK?
The prospective Indian students who wish to study in the UK are offered financial support in the UK through various means because as we all know the UK is quite an expensive destination when it comes to overseas education. But not to worry, listed below are a few options, international students can consider especially Indian students who want to study in the UK
• Student loans
• UK universities
• Government organizations
• Private organizations
The UK provides a vast number of Scholarships to study in the UK, particularly for postgraduate students. There are also a number of undergraduate scholarships for international students to study in the UK. Majorly, there are three types of scholarships in the UK for international students-
Types of financial aids available for Indian students to study in the UK
Global scholarships - These scholarships are highly competitive and have a strict eligibility criterion.
Level of study for Chevening scholarship- Master’s
Countries eligible-144 countries. Around 700 scholarships are awarded every year.
Applications dates: August-October/November (usually)
Level of study: Master’s and Ph.D. (undergraduate-citizens of St. Helena and the Seychelles only)
Countries eligible: 62 commonwealth nations
Eligibility criteria: commonwealth citizen, refugee or British protected person and at least 2:1 Honours degree.
Applications open date: August before your course is due to start
Amount-Mainly cover tuition fees, a monthly living allowance and travel to and from the UK.
Country specific scholarships to study in the UK
1.The Global Study Awards - The British Council, Study Portals and ISIC has jointly initiated ‘The Global Study Awards’ worth £10,000 to encourage Indian students to study in the UK and to develop intercultural understanding. This scholarship is opened twice a year to two international students.
2. British Council Great Scholarships for Indian students to study in the UK - Announced 198 scholarships with a total budget of £2.6 million every academic year in partnership with 40 UK universities. The scholarships consist of approximately 169 Postgraduate and 29 undergraduate programs from art and design to engineering, law, and management courses.
3.Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships This Scholarship was launched by St. John’s College in honor of Dr. Manmohan Singh ( Former PM, India). It is given to the academically outstanding Indian students wanting to pursue doctoral studies in St. John’s College and the University of Cambridge in fields like Science & Technology, Economics, and Social Sciences. Applications in Aerospace Engineering and Energy Studies are given the highest priority.
4.Goa Education Trust Scholarships) This trust helps students from Goa to explore study options abroad. Eligible students get scholarships and research fellowships by the universities. The scholarship covers full or half tuition fees for the courses.
5.Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships - Offers 10 awards every year to international students that include tuition fees, accommodation, and living expenses in the UK along with a contribution to international fares.
6.Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships - The Foundation focuses on providing scholarships, grants, and awards in various fields to outstanding young Indians to enable them to develop their professional, scientific, artistic, and cultural abilities, both abroad and in India.
7.Felix Scholarship- They are for academically excellent students under 30 years, coming from disadvantaged backgrounds. Felix trust offers a maximum of six scholarships/year to the students to pursue their postgraduate degrees at the University of Reading & School of Oriental, the University of Oxford, and African Studies.
UK University scholarships to study in the UK
Almost all UK universities offer scholarships or discounts in some or other way. The key is to look for them. There is one definite scholarship for each deserving student. Below is the list of a few scholarships offered by UK universities.
1. University of Westminster The University of Westminster offers numerous scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students.
Some of the prestigious scholarships among them are listed below:
Westminster Undergraduate Half-Fee Scholarship offers a 50% tuition fee waiver based on student’s academic excellence and financial need.
Westminster Full-fee Scholarship offers a 100% tuition fee waiver for students pursuing a full-time Master’s program at the University.
High Achiever Scholarship grants £2,500 per academic year for a full-time undergraduate.
2. Coventry University - Coventry University invests £1million in scholarships per year for international students who are aspiring to pursue an undergraduate or a postgraduate degree at the University. Scholarships of Coventry University are worth up to £1,500.
3. Rhodes Scholarships at the University of Oxford - Rhodes Scholarships at the University of Oxford is the most prestigious and oldest scholarship. There are 5 Scholarships provided to the Indian students each year who are chosen for their outstanding intelligence, leadership, determination behind perusing higher studies. The scholarship covers a complete tuition fee, health insurance, and one economy-class flight ticket to the home country.
4. Queen Mary University - Queen Mary provides various scholarships on an Undergraduates, Master’s, and Ph.D. level The university has invested over £ 25 million to support international students.
5. Gates Cambridge Scholarships- Any outstanding aspirants from any country who wants to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in the University of Cambridge can apply for the Gates Cambridge scholarship. The scholarship covers the full tuition fee plus some additional funding.
6. University of Hertfordshire - The University of Hertfordshire provides merit-based scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students. International students need not apply for it through a formal application process.
7. University of Sussex Chancellor’s International Scholarships - These are merit-based scholarships offered to prospective international students who want to pursue post graduate degree courses from the university of Sussex. The scholarship covers a 50% tuition fee and its offered for almost all the PG courses.
8. UAL Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate International Scholarships. This Scholarship supports 10 students/year from a low socio-economic background and wanting a full-time Master’s degree at the University of the Arts London. The total scholarship amount is £25,000.
9. Bristol University International Office Scholarships- Offers 5 scholarships/year to students who want to pursue their undergraduate degrees. Each student gets a remuneration of £8,500 against tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year.
10. University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships -Offers 50 scholarships worth £5,000 to academically bright students wanting to pursue full-time Bachelors or Master’s Program at the university.
11. Developing Solutions Scholarships at the University of Nottingham. Offers 105 scholarships/year for international students to pursue a Master’s Degree at the university. Out of which 30 scholarships offer 100% tuition fee waiver and 75 scholarships offer 50% tuition fee waiver.
Apart from these, there are many other universities like De Montfort University, University of South Wales, University of West London, Birmingham City University, the University of West of England and many more offer various scholarships and discounts especially for students applying from India.
Zoom Abroad Online is the leading online international education platform helping students to choose the best fit option for their overseas higher education. Along with that Zoom Abroad offers its own guaranteed £250 scholarship for every enrolled student. Students can also acquire scholarships offered by the international institutes as per their performances. At Zoom Abroad, the student can create their personal profiles and get matched with the most suited university options and available scholarships. Create your profile and get the scholarship that you deserve.