About this article
Study in Zealand: Student Visa Application Process and Checklist
You will be granted a New Zealand student visa only if you have applied for a course in an institution registered and approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. You will also be required to meet several visa conditions after completion of which, you can enter New Zealand. All the New Zealand visa applications are processed by the New Zealand Immigration Service in New Delhi. The visa application should be lodged at least 2 months prior to the course commencement date. Your visa will be approved only after your course tuition fees has been paid.
Below are the steps that need to be undertaken for successful visa processing and other application requirements:
1. To get a student visa and permit, you must be enrolled in an approved course at an institution that has been accredited to offer that course.
2. Visa lodging application form requires - a recent passport-size photograph and payment of a non-refundable application fee.
3. Evidence of payment of the fee or exemption from the fee. (Not necessary if your application is being approved in principle.)
4. A written guarantee from a New Zealand education institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand.
5. Evidence of enough funds to live on while you are studying and a return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one.
6. For courses longer than 24 months, you will also have to provide medical and x-ray certificates that are less than three months old. People applying for student visas or permits who wish to enter New Zealand are also required to be screened for tuberculosis (TB)
7. If you are over 17, a police clearance certificate is required.
It is important to meet all these visa conditions to avoid any kind of cancellation. After applying for your visa, the New Zealand Embassy will give you a date to attend the Interview. On the given date you need to appear for a personal interview. If you do not perform well and have not submitted the correct documents at the time of the interview, your visa might be rejected. Therefore, for easy reference, find below the checklist for New Zealand visa documents:
- Filled student visa application
- Demand draft for visa fee drawn in favour of “Immigration New Zealand” payable at Mumbai
- Covering letter
- Two recent passport size photographs
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Affidavit of support from sponsor
- Authorization letter from sponsor
- Financial undertaking form
- Educational Certificates, Mark sheets, Degrees and Diplomas
- IELTS/TOEFL /PTE score
- Supplementary information form
- If tuition fee is paid in advance, then attach the copy of fee receipt
- Work experience certificate (if employed)
- Evidence of funds and income in the form of
1. Loan Sanction letter
2. Bank Statements/Bank Passbooks for past 6 months, not more than one week old
3. Other movable and immovable assets
4. Chartered accountant statement/summary statement
5. Last 3 years income tax papers of all family members
b. Police clearance certificate from regional passport office
c. Medical & T.B. X-ray certificates from panel doctor
The student must pay the 1st year’s tuition fee to the institution upon receiving the Approval-in-Principle. Thereafter, the institution will send the fee receipt by email to NZIS to enable them to issue the Visa Stamp. Once you get the visa stamp your New Zealand visa will be approved.