Know Your Visa: The Most Important Document Before You Travel Abroad to Study
You've found a great study abroad program, been accepted, and are now getting excited to start your study abroad adventure. Congratulations! Now it's just a matter of preparing yourself for the big trip. And one of the most important things in that preparation includes obtaining a visa to your host country.
The application process for a study abroad student visa can be confusing because it’s different for different countries. Unfortunately, unlike a passport, there is no single application for a Student Visa as the requirements differ from country to country. Know more about the few must have documents for application of the student visa in these following countries:
- USA visa for Indian students – F1 student Visa - US student visa for Indian students lasts for the entire study duration plus 2 months. The general visa costs are INR 10,000 with an added INR 13,000 as service fees (depends on the value of dollar). To be able to study in the USA, you will need to attend the visa interview at the embassy in India along with showing them proof of available funds to support your education and stay in the USA.
Application of visa can be done online. Afterwards, you will have to set an appointment for a visa interview and have your biometrics taken. U.S. officials recommend you apply 3 months in advance of leaving for the U.S.
- German Student Visa – Visa Type D- German student visa usually lasts for 3 months. Once completed, you will have to apply for a residence permit for which you have to apply when you arrive in Germany. The process required you to attend a visa interview, show proof of available funds to support yourself once in Germany. To acquire the student visa, you will also have to open a blocked bank account at a German bank (in support of your minimum funds proof) and provide proof of enough English or German skills.
Having a health insurance is also mandatory to study in Germany, costing around INR 50,000 to INR 70,000. German officials recommend you apply for the visa 3 months in advance of leaving for Germany.
- UK Visa – Tier 4 General Student Visa - UK student visa will last for your entire study duration plus 1 month more. Visa application fees is approx. INR 32,000 with an additional mandatory health insurance costing INR 13,000/year. The application process includes interviewing at the application centre, providing proof of available funds to support yourself during your stay. The visa process also requires you to take a tuberculosis test. UK officials recommend you apply 3 months in advance of leaving for the UK.
- Canada Visa – Study Permit - Canada student visa lasts for the entire study duration plus 3 months more. The visa is approx. INR 8,000. Mandatory medical exam is required to obtain the visa. You may need to attend a visa interview at an embassy or consulate in your home country along with providing proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada. Canadian officials recommend you apply between 4 and 6 months in advance of leaving for Canada.
- Australia visa – Student Visa (Subclass 500) -Australian student visa also lasts the entire duration of your course, with an addition of 2 or 3 months. Having a mandatory requirement of a health insurance to obtain the visa, the approx. cost of application is around INR 28,000. You may have to attend a visa interview along with showing the proof of available funds and provide proof of English skills. Application of visa generally takes 21 days or more.